Monday, May 18, 2009

Vegas, Baby!

Living in Southern California, I have seen Las Vegas from so many vantage points. I remember so many shows showing Las Vegas and making it the exciting place to be. I also remember all the campaigns on Las Vegas including the infamous "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." Being someone who has visited many times, I have to admit I have seen it change so much. I remember the days before all the major building when people used to just hit Vegas to elope, gamble or drink. I also remember the old Vegas reviews that every teen boy yearned to see knowing that at least one topless dance number was going to be performed.



Things I recommend for those visiting Vegas:
1) Never go through a travel agent unless that Agent is willing to book all your hotel packages with zero commission. Because there is not much of a benefit to you as a customer unless you have a large party going with you. If you have a large party going with you, go ahead and work the travel agent and if it is for an event, make sure you have your agent partners with a coordinator for that event. Don't pin one agent against another to see who can give you the best deal. In reality they will be presenting you different options and that will not help you. It is highly unusual if not almost impossible for two agents to bring you different quotes for the exact same hotel and flights. I personally will never work for a client that does that, as it is an indicator they do not trust me. For me, I want to open the world of travel to my customers and to myself. So in a lot of cases I offer commission free deals and exclusive service to the customer. I know in the long run I gain customer loyalty.

2) These days it is not hard to do reseach on where to go in Vegas. There are lots of solid resources of information. If you like clubbing check out and make sure to get your VIP passes in advance. If you are in a hotel with Concierge, get to know your concierge and have them work your show tickets for you. If you want to do shows on the cheap, look them up in advance and buy them. I got third row center seats just by watching when they were going to go on sale and buying them within the week they posted. This will not work for one-off concerts in Vegas, in cases like that best bet go to ticket consignment firm on the web for good seats like ticketmaster.

3) If you go to Vegas to do a combination of shows, hanging out and gambling. Make sure to get your hotel frequent flyer card. If you gamble $100 US worth in the hotel they keep track and that little card can get you good deals and notifications when you can stay for less or even on the resorts dime if you gamble enough. This is done a lot by seniors and it would not be if it was not cost effective. Granted pick a hotel that you really like to do this in and only gamble there. It will encourage that resort to extend greater priviledges to you. Maximum benefit comes from mid range hotels not in the public spot light. The highlighted hotels will extend these benefits to celebrities and other rich vips and care very little of Joanne or Joe Smith visit and gamble a couple of hundred bucks every six months.

More tips and ideas to come in our next edition of Vegas, Baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment