Thursday, May 14, 2009

Short Cruises 101 Part 1

Until my first cruise, I did not realize how amazing going on a cruise can be. All your excursion's can be planned in advance, you can buy gift and souvenirs in advance, you have 24 hour meal service in your stateroom and can go at anytime to eat at any of the many buffets. Even internet access is now readily available on the ship. Stewards are available each night and do turn down service in your room while you are away at dinner and leave chocolates on each side of the bed. And that does not include the services available on board. My first cruise experience confirmed that I will again go on future cruises. Both my boyfriend and I have our eyes set on Alaska, Panama, Mexico, the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

For me, the toughest thing was deciding to go on a cruise and once we both decided, the next logical step was choosing the duration. One of the wonderful benefits of being residents in California and Florida is that you have some really great options to cruise for as little as 4 days and 3 nights. For Kevin and I, a key factor in the decision to try a cruise was budget and duration. We reviewed the rates on the ship and looked at the benefits that are inclusive. When it came down to it, we both realized that our cruise would cost us each approximately $85 US per night including trip insurance. There are no hotel properties that I know of that can offer that kind of rate and include all your meals and cover for accidental cancellation. When we looked at the numbers, cruising was a very viable adventure. What cinched the deal were the port stops, the cruise was scheduled to stop in Catalina Island and Ensenada. Kevin who has never been to Mexico and loved the idea. I, at the time had also seen the travel advisories, so I did my research and made sure Ensenada was a safe port stop. With knowledge that we were on the right track, I went ahead and booked the cruise.

Key things I learned in planning the time Kevin and I spent together:
1) Check out the numbers, you never know what awesome deal you can find if you look. Believe it or not as a California and Florida residents actually get better deals for cruising. Cruise lines understand that they can't make money without passengers and making a cruise affordable for local singles, couples and families ensures they can keep their staterooms booked.
2) Confirm the various spots and places you want to visit. If a cruise ship stops there, why not go in style?
3) Last but not least, although sea sickness is rarely a problem, find out about treatments ahead of time and if you are worried, get information on where you are most likely to notice the swaying and movement of the ship. One of the most important things I learned was that the best spot to be on board ship is toward the bottom in the middle. You never feel the ship move. You may get a much higher and larger ocean view from a stateroom on the upper decks but you also feel the ocean beneath you a lot more.

More information to come in our next segment, Part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment